Trek Untold-Episode 95: Wil Wheaton is More Than Just A Geek
Put on your best space sweater and prepare to travel with the greatest nerd among us, Wil Wheaton!
You already know Wil as Wesley Crusher from Star Trek TNG and the host of “The Ready Room,” among his appearances on “The Big Bang Theory” and countless other geeky places. Needless to say, this interview travels across the galaxy of topics ranging from fun to heavy.
We discuss Wil's new book “Still Just A Geek” and what is different about the Wil, who wrote his first book nearly two decades ago, compared to the person he is today, including a more comprehensive understanding of who he is and coming to terms with many uncomfortable aspects of himself.
Wil speaks candidly about his recent public announcement of his battles with alcoholism and sobriety, as well as the trauma caused by his parents and how he continues to fight the good fight by “doing the work” while advocating for mental health awareness for others afflicted with anxiety, depression, and trauma and abuse-related PTSD.
From there, it's onto Trek talk as we chat about Wil's favorite action figure of, Wesley Crusher, and why toys were so important to him as a kid, memories of filming “The Game” with Ashley Judd and “The First Duty” with Sir Patrick Stewart (and whether or not Tom Paris is actually Locarno from that same episode) and the most valuable lesson he learned from his Star Trek TNG family.
Plus, what Wil Wheaton understands about “Stand By Me” and his performance in that film today that he didn't know when he was a child, time on the set of “Toy Soldiers” with Sean Astin, and what Wil wants to leave behind as his legacy.
Check out “Still Just A Geek” on Amazon here – https://amzn.to/3P8fxvo
If you need help with your mental health, visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) website here – https://nami.org/Home Or try SAMHSA, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, to locate ways to seek treatment – https://www.samhsa.gov/find-treatment Or if you need serious help now, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 800-273-8255 https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Visit https://www.drivebydogooders.org/ to donate to the cause, and if you donate $35 or more, Lycia will send you an autographed picture. In the comments section where you donate, include your name and address and what pic you would like, and Lycia will send it on your way!
- Visit Pancan.org to support the Trek against Pancreatic Cancer
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the notifications button to be updated when we go live or upload our next video!
Support Trek Untold by checking out our merchandise at https://teespring.com/stores/trekuntold or become a Patreon at Patreon.com/TrekUntold.
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Follow Nerd News Today on Social Media
- Twitter: Twitter.com/NerdNews2Day
- Instagram: Instagram.com/NerdNewsToday
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NerdNewsToday
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Trek Untold: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/trek-untold/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/
- GamiFi Everything: Beyond The Metaverse: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/gamifi-everything-beyond-the-metaverse/
- Slaying For Me: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/slaying-for-me/