Trek Untold Episode 52: Ron Canada talks Star Trek TNG, DS9, and VOY
Ron Canada went from Harlem to the Delta Quadrant in the span of his over four-decade-long career on stage and screen, starting in NYC in theater and not long after in Hollywood with over 200 appearances in the many facets of his performing resume. Trekkies may remember Ron best as Martin Benbeck in the Star Trek TNG episode “The Masterpiece Society,” the Klingon lawyer Ch'Pok from Star Trek DS9's “Rules of Engagement,” and on Voyager as the Malon freighter captain named Fesek from “Juggernaut.”
Ron reminisces about how he was cast in Star Trek, working with Patrick Stewart and the brilliant ways he showed off the different faces of anger through Martin, acting alongside Avery Brooks and Michael Dorn in a very memorable legal episode of DS9 that was directed by Levar Burton, sitting in the makeup chair to be a Klingon and Malon, the challenging conditions of filming his episode of Voyager, and the story of how Ron was almost cast as Martok but lost out to his former roommate J.G. Hertzler! Ron brought a lot of life to these characters, and aspiring actors will love his tips and explanations for his choices with these roles.
Plus, acting with Jaleel White and Darius McCrary on “Family Matters” and how he almost played Reginald Vel Johnson's character on the show, “Adventures in Babysitting” with Anthony Rapp, his bizarre William Shatner story from “Boston Legal,” acting alongside David Hasselhoff in the infamous “Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD” Marvel movie, memories of boxing legend Angelo Dundee while working on “Cinderella Man,” working on “The Orville” with Seth McFarlane and Jonathan Frakes, and more!
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
Pick up Armin Shimerman's new book “Illyria: Betrayal of Angels” from Amazon.com- https://buff.ly/35OYAAp
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Call Me When It’s Over: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/cmwio/
- Cheese! A Photography Podcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/capp/
- The Variant Issue: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/tvi/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Trek Untold: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/trek-untold/
- Funkohub POPcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/funkohub-popcast/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/