Trek Untold Episode 31: Armin Shimerman, Quark from Star Trek DS9 Answers Your Fan Questions
If you're ever on DS9 and need a place to wet your whistle, run – don't walk – to Quark's Bar! Today, we speak with Armin Shimerman, most famously known to Trek fans as Quark from “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.” He's here to answer fan-submitted questions and discuss his new book, “Illyria: Betrayal of Angels,” the first in a historical-fiction trilogy starring a young William Shakespeare.
Armin, who is also an adjunct professor of Shakespeare, talks to us about the long process of writing this book and how to better understand the language of the writing from this era.
Armin tells us about his Star Trek: The Next Generation” debut, which was actually in “Haven” as the Betazoid Gift Box, and then discusses his first time as the Ferengi in “The Last Outpost.” He has some big regrets about this appearance and tells us why he thinks he almost killed the Ferengi!
Armin breathed new life into the Ferengi years later when he played Quark on DS9 for seven seasons and shares some stories about his time on the promenade. We learn about wearing the makeup & prosthetics, why Quark never had a flange on the back of his head like other Ferengi, thoughts on his Playmates action figure and filming the TV commercial for those toys, and memories of his appearance on “Live with Regis & Kathie Lee” when he appeared live on their show in full makeup.
Plus, memories of Rene Auberjonois, his favorite guest stars, if the Ferengi were meant to be representations of the Jewish people, voicing Andrew Ryan in the “Bioshock” series, and working with Sammo Hung on “Martial Law”!
Pick up Armin Shimerman's new book “Illyria: Betrayal of Angels” from Amazon.com- https://buff.ly/35OYAAp
Check out Lycia Naff's charity, Drive-By Do-Gooders, at this link here – https://www.drivebydogooders.org/
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Call Me When It’s Over: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/cmwio/
- Cheese! A Photography Podcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/capp/
- The Variant Issue: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/tvi/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Funkohub POPcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/funkohub-popcast/