Trek Untold-Episode 119: Alec Newman
Alec Newman, From Scotland to Star Trek
Alec Newman has gone from Scotland to Star Trek, along with some other sci-fi names on his wonderful resume, and he stopped by Trek Untold to tell us all about it! Alec played Malik on three episodes of “Star Trek: Enterprise,” referred to as The Augment trilogy. He was the #1 son of Soong and had some great memories of his time performing on that set.
We learn about Alec growing up in Glasgow, Scotland, with his famous musician father, Sandy Newman from “Marmalade,” what he remembered and learned from his first on-screen role in “Taggart,” how he found his way from the UK to Hollywood, working on the “Dune” mini-series as Paul Etraides and his unique approach and method behind how he performed that character, along with how the epic fight between him and Matt Keesler was put together, and likewise what Alec did differently from his predecessors when performing as Dr. Victor Von Frankenstein in the Emmy award-winning “Frankenstein” movie alongside William Hurt and Donald Sutherland.
Then it's time for Trek Talk, and Alec explained how he got cast as this augment, wearing the wig and tight spandex, working with Brent Spiner, his fight scenes with Scott Bakula, being directed by Levar Burton, “The Wrath of Khan” homage in the episodes, and more from his time on Enterprise. This was a fantastic chat with an absolutely fantastic performer you will love hearing from!
NOTE: Apologies for anyone watching the video version, a few times in the interview, the Zoom connection got weird, so some parts are wildly out of sync, but 99% of the interview is fine.
Please subscribe to our brand new YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/@trekuntold. There you will see all the old episodes of this show, as well as new episodes and all of our other content, including shorts and some other fun things planned for the future.
Visit my Amazon shop to check out tons of Trek products and other things I enjoy – https://www.amazon.com/shop/thefightnerd
View the Teespring store for Trek Untold gear & apparel – https://my-store-9204078.creator-spring.com
Support Trek Untold by becoming a Patreon at Patreon.com/TrekUntold.
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Follow Nerd News Today on Social Media
- Twitter: Twitter.com/NerdNews2Day
- Instagram: Instagram.com/NerdNewsToday
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NerdNewsToday
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Trek Untold: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/trek-untold/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/
- GamiFi Everything: Beyond The Metaverse: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/gamifi-everything-beyond-the-metaverse/
- Slaying For Me: https://www.rageworksnetwork.com/show/slaying-for-me/